Re: Caladium Marcel source

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:41:14 -0600 (CST)
Sender: aroid-l@mobot.org
From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
To: aroid-owner@mobot.org
Subject: Re: Caladium Marcel source

Dear Michael:

Concerning this Plant I will give the History as far as I know. The late Dr.
Monroe Birdsey brought back a flask (in vitro) of this Plant from his visit
to France to the nursery of Marcel Lecoulf (not sure of this Spelling). Dr.
Birdsey did  not have a growing facility where he could handle Plants of this
size so he sold the flask to my Nursery. From this flask we  got maybe 200
liners wihich we grew on and distributed at Aroid shows and Plant Sales.
Scott Hyndman subsequently requested some research material and I sent him
what remained of the liners for his project. I did not like the minature
dwarfiness if the plant. TOO Slow, no vigor, never grew much bigger than 4 ".
Scott allowed his plants to go dormant and go through the Cool Winter Weather
in Orlando and Low a behold he found that the plants lost their minature
growth habit and lack of vigor and reverted to being plain C. humboldtii.
This tends to indicate to me that perhaps there is no distinct 'Marcel'
variety but a chemically or physiologically induced dwarfism that can be
overcome by vernalizing the plants. If you want this clone Marcel, I am
afraid that the only place you can be sure of getting it is to go back to
Lecoufle in France and buy them in a bottle. But from my perspective as a
grower you would be better off without the runty little things. Check with
Scott, if he hasn't already responded to you about this variety.

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens