Re: Variegation in Anthuriums ?

  • Subject: Re: Variegation in Anthuriums ?
  • From: StellrJ@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 18:16:06 -0600 (CST)

In a message dated Tue, 26 Feb 2002  4:51:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com> writes:

I have also seen birds nest Anthuriums
> and another large leaf hybrid called 'Anth. lazaro' ex-tissue culture with
> dasheen mosiac virus.   The owner would not get rid of
> them, he thought them attractive!

<<Do adroid species get a type of mosaic virus?   I had someone ask me
> yesterday if they had a special "variegated" cymbidium.  What they had was a
> cymbidium with a heavy infestation of cymbidium mosaic virus.

Is it not true that, in Tulips, all the "Rembrandt"-type, or broken-color varieties, have tulip mosaic virus?  This is why reputable nursuries tell you to keep broken-color tulips separate from solid colors.  If this is established in the tulip trade, what is the likelihood of the same practice in the aroid trade?

Jason Hernandez