Re: Variegation in Anthuriums ?

  • Subject: Re: Variegation in Anthuriums ?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 11:27:22 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: <StellrJ@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2002 7:16 PM

In a message dated Tue, 26 Feb 2002  4:51:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
"Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com> writes:

I have also seen birds nest Anthuriums
> and another large leaf hybrid called 'Anth. lazaro' ex-tissue culture with
> dasheen mosiac virus.   The owner would not get rid of
> them, he thought them attractive!

<<Do adroid species get a type of mosaic virus?   I had someone ask me
> yesterday if they had a special "variegated" cymbidium.  What they had was
> cymbidium with a heavy infestation of cymbidium mosaic virus.

>>Is it not true that, in Tulips, all the "Rembrandt"-type, or broken-color
varieties, have tulip mosaic virus?  This is why reputable nursuries tell
you to keep broken-color tulips separate from solid colors.  If this is
established in the tulip trade, what is the likelihood of the same practice
in the aroid trade?

Jason Hernandez

In MOST cases I have observed of an Aroid that has contracted Dasheen mosiac
virus the plant soon becomes weakened, the new leaves being produced that
have the varigation caused by the virus begin to decline in size and shape
(they deform), and pretty soon the plant becomes 'ugly'.    The virus is
said to be transmitted by 'sucking insects', and in the greenhouses where I
observed these plants aphids and white fly were fairly common.

I have seen a specimen of Xanthosoma cf. brazilense where the virus seemed
to wax and wane, and the plant seems healthy now, which goes against the
grain of reports that say that it can not be 'cured', though I must admit
that I have done nothing to 'treat/cure' this plant.