Re: Anthurium from Costa Rica

  • Subject: Re: Anthurium from Costa Rica
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 23:13:50 -0600 (CST)

Title: Re: Anthurium from Costa Rica
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 9:58 PM

Hello Friends,
WAy back (35-40 years?) in Trinidad when my Dad used to cross-pollinate Anthuriums and develop new colors and shapes, we weeded out any that had the green 'extentions' to the spathe, these were considered to be serious 'faults' back then, but these were developed in Hawaii to be this 'type' of Anthurium and today are considered by some to be beautiful!
>>don, i'm surprised you haven't seen those; at least in nyc, they are not uncommon as cut flowers.  i personally don't like them that much, they look like monstrous anth. on steroids...  the shape and size are huge and they come in several colors.

  Well, here in Milwaukee, we are really in a (horti)cultural back water.  We see the big, red spathed ones and maybe some pinks and whites, but that's about all.