Re: [aroid-l] Cultural tips for Chlorospatha?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Cultural tips for Chlorospatha?
  • From: "ron iles" <roniles@eircom.net>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:46:24 -0000

A suggestion not a "tip" - Why not try slowly submersing their pots  over
weeks in warm
water?  Spathiphyllum can grow supremely this way & even brief drying out
can be lethal?   Maybe Chlorospatha are similiar? Also, like Spathiphyllum
do they
like narrow
temperature ranges better, say
70F(21C) to 85F (about 29C)?  And enough shade?  In the Selva only the
uppermost leaves of the canopy which have frequent reviving rains or
marginal water plants which are in water are in the brightest sun ?   Do not
the rest live in
habitats with much narrower & more equitable water, light & temperature
conditions?   Could their stenothermality be one reason why we find some
plants "difficult" or susceptible to pathogens e.g. Cylindrocladium in
Spaths in Florida where temperature range can be not 10-15F but over
50F?!!!!  Spathiphyllum grow best where their conditions are controlled
within very narrow limits.  To keep them in peak colour & condition should
one keep Chlorospatha & much else warm but not hot or cold & attend to their
other preferences  not rely on their tolerances?   Hope these few thoughts
are of interest