[aroid-l] Cultivation of Anthurium Warocqueanum ?

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Cultivation of Anthurium Warocqueanum ?
  • From: "Harold Beck" <drewbeck@swbell.net>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:05:37 -0600

I have been working with the growing of the Anthurium warocqueanum and A. veitchii for a while - and have had reasonably good luck establishing an acceptable greenhouse environment here in the Houston area (so far). I have a number of plants to work with (thanks to many of you)  and have had good new growth after the acclimation period. But I do have a persistent anomaly that I am hoping that some of you experienced growers might be able to help me with. The warocq's develop nice new sizable leaves pretty consistently - but frequently as the new leaf "unfurls" - or "opens" there is a significant weakness in small areas of leaf tissue between the veins - and this weakness develops into a translucent spot that soon develops into a complete perforation - sometimes quite small 2 to 4 mm in diameter - and of course the result is a permanent "blemish"  -- and on a few occasions the fault in the new growth is near the main rib and after "opening', the new leaf has a major deformation.

And now my question is what causes this problem - which has been pretty consistent over the past few months ?? Might it be a nutrition deficiency - a watering problem - a greenhouse environment problem like humidity or temperature range/variation or what ??

The problem is only associated with the warocq.'s - the veitchii's new growth (in the same environment) has been excellent with numerous nice large perfect leaves - very rewarding !!

I understand that diagnosis via e-mail is very difficult - especially with so many variables - but I was thinking that some of you may have had similar experiences -- and if so your help and advise will be greatly appreciated !! This experience has been most frustrating - since success has been so close but yet so far !

Many thanks, Harold Beck