Re: [aroid-l] Cultivation of Anthurium Warocqueanum ?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Cultivation of Anthurium Warocqueanum ?
  • From: "Petra Schmidt" <petra@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:00:31 -0500

Hello Harold,
We used to call this "dry birth", forgive the graffic description...I saw it
on other anthuriums that I used to grow at MoBot years ago and know the
condition you've described is common among anthurium growers.  High constant
humidity, especially at the crown of the plant (with good air circulation)
helps keep the cataphylls moist and the newest leaf soft and succulent for
its emergence into the cruel cold world of the greenhouse.
AnthuraSelecties in the Netherlands are wonderful growers of anthurium (also
Eucagenera in Ecuador) so maybe check out their web sites or email them for
On the other hand, if the "spot" is a result of a fungal problem, send a
leaf sample to your state agriculture agency and they can test it.  Keep us
posted, ok?