Re: [aroid-l] Cultivation of Anthurium Warocqueanum ?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Cultivation of Anthurium Warocqueanum ?
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:56:02 -0800

Dear Petra (and Harold),

Indeed, low humidity or even inconsistent humidity can
spoil a developing leaf in record time.  A few other causal
agents one might check for (i.e. things or events which have
induced similar damage in my experience):

- Water trapped in the still folded leaf; could induce fungal/
bacterial rot.  [avoid misting/ watering late in the day, treat
prophylactically with Dithane M-45 (manganese + zinc, leaves
a residue) or with Phyton-27 (copper chelate- no residue)]

- Contact with other plants, leaves or objects; I've observed
deformations if a developing leaf rubs against or even just
touches another object- spiny bromeliads especially! [keep
new leaf isolated, at least until hardened]

- Excessive air movement; can sever a primary leaf vein which
may result in a tear or perforation [keep developing leaves away
from fans]  By the way, this applies even more so to the output
air stream from a forced air furnace/ heater.

- Slugs; as Obi Wan Kenobi once said, "Never underestimate
the dark side of the force...".  In truth, he was referring to evil
gastropods- but popular culture misinterpreted his statement.
[you may not see a slime trail & still be plagued... check at night
with a strong flashlight & see what's lurking.  I've never had good
luck using only baits in my greenhouse; best is a combination
of baiting and hand elimination inside the greenhouse- and a
dedicated regimen of baiting around the outside perimeter/ points
of entry]

- Fertilizing with a high urea nitrogen; typically affects leaf edges
first- turning them yellow prior to necrosis- but sometimes manifests
as an interior legion [flush with low TDS water, change your N
source and/or reduce your feed concentration]

- Lastly, are you keeping your temperatures somewhat moderated?
As, I'm sure you know- Anth. warocq. hails from higher altitudes
and does best when kept below 90º F (optimal in my experience is
approx. 80+º during the day, dropping to 68º or a bit lower at night).
---

I hope that between Petra's wonderful note & some of the above
observations you're soon growing perfect meter long warocq. leaves.

 -Dan