RE: [Aroid-l] Lemna--edible by livestock

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Lemna--edible by livestock
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:57:35 +0000

From : 	Derek Burch <derek@horticulturist.com>
Sent : Saturday, March 18, 2006 4:40 PM
To : "'Discussion of aroids'" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : [Aroid-l] Lemna--edible by livestock

Dear Derek,

No, I was not aware of this research---I will try to remember to ask my brother to ask around and see if he can find out anything. It would seem difficult to grow the plant in sufficient quantaties to provide enough to use as bovine fodder for any amount of cattle or water buffalo.
The Best,

Julius

Julius,
On the subject of Lemna, a number of years ago when I was consulting in
Trinidad, I was shown a lemna at one of the experiment stations that had
enough protein content that they thought it would be a  possible cattle feed
- doing the double job of removing nutrients from the water. I haven't tried
to follow through to see if anything came of it. Have you heard?

Best, Derek<<