[Aroid-l] Dracontium amazonense

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Dracontium amazonense
  • From: "D. Scott Taylor" staylor@brevardparks.com
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:23:27 -0500

Hello all: I have growing the above species for a few years and can't quite figure out patterns of dormancy.  My larger tuber (flowering age) goes dormant in the fall, but many of the smaller ones do not.  Growth declines in the fall, the petioles collapse, but remain green and cannot be pulled from the tuber, and then new growth resumes in warmer weather: so there is no real dormancy.  I am in central Florida.  Any ideas/insights?