Re: [Aroid-l] philodendron verrucosum

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] philodendron verrucosum
  • From: "Steve Ritchey" sritchey@shreve.net
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:05:07 -0600

The Xanthosoma atrovirens albomarginata  is one of my favorites.  Mainly they seem to like a sandy soil without a lot of organic content that can get soggy and they like to dry out quite a bit between watering.  They are most reliable in raised beds here.  During spring flooding or summer hurricanes they can stay too wet,causing the roots to die back to the tuber and the tops to die back, but then they recover, reroot, and start growing again as it dries up.

I grew up on the peninsula and the p. verrucosum is definitely much easier there than in Texas.

Steve