Re: [Aroid-l] Hybrids/orchids/Don

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Hybrids/orchids/Don
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 17:37:16 +0000

From : 	<HUDSONSBIRDS@webtv.net>
Sent : 	Thursday, March 1, 2007 2:06 PM
To : 	aroid-l@gizmoworks.com (Discussion of aroids)
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Hybrids/orchids/Don

Absoloutly! Cross-pollination has always been possible, and in some cases obviously occurs even in nature! I guess what I was/am trying to express is how it would seem that 'Mother Nature' has put many 'safe-guards' in place to prevent this happening in MOST cases! I had two species of Urospatha in cultivation some years ago, they could esily be told apart by leaf shape and texture, spathe shape and color, etc. Ones bloom smelled of cantelope, one of over-ripe fruit salad, they occured far apart in Nature, one at the mouth of the Orinoco River, the other in Tortugero Canal in Costa Rica. I managed to easily cross-pollinate one with the other, got 100% viable seeed, and the hybrids were a good half-way match of the parents. No arguement from me re: the possibility of species cross-pollination, but would it/could it occur in Nature??? Who knows! I do know that two species of Philodendron growing close to the jungle in a friends yard in Fr. Guyana were 'naturally' cross-pollinated, presumably by scrab beetles, one was P. gouldii, the other P. solimoense, and the hybrid was one strange-looking plant!

Julius-Again thanks for the clarification.      I DO understand that
odor-shape or other "lures" can induce different insects to pollinate a
flower, HOWEVER whether its MAN or INSECT-  cross pollination of various
sub-species IS possible. <<

Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list