[Aroid-l] Syngonium setting seed in S. Florida

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Syngonium setting seed in S. Florida
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 00:02:13 +0000

From : 	Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat@mobot.org>
Sent : 	Monday, March 26, 2007 9:10 PM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	RE: [Aroid-l] Syngonium

Dear Eric and Tom,

Just FYI, a few years ago when Vic Soukup was looking for seed of Syngongium podophyllum, I happened to be working for a Company with an office on the W. of side h/way 441 (State Road 7) just S. of Boynton Beach Blvd. in Delrey Beach, Florida. This area borders the Everglades. There was a stand of Cypress trees on the South side of the property on which many introduced S. podophyllum had grown, and I believe around mid- or late summer, many of these climbers had produced a substantial number of ripe and opening fruit on them! I managed to collect for Vic, but with some difficulty (because of the height of these climbers, about 15-20 ft. up) a fairly large number of mature seed of these aroids, and with more effort and time could have collected even more.
I GUESS there is some pollinator in the area??
Also of interest, a friend who has a nursery nearby, and who has HUGE plants of Montrichardia cf. linnifera which he grew from seed I gave him ex. Trinidad, W.I. many years ago, has had his 15'-tall plants bloom, AND to our delight, set and produce large numbers of viable seed! I understand that in nature (in S. America) that this plant is pollinated by large bees, so I wonder what is happening in S. Florida re: potential/actual pollinators!

The Best,

Julius

Dear Eric:

Most Syngonium in cultivation here in North America do not get pollinated so don?t set seeds. Even in the wild mature fruits are not frequently seen owing to the fact that mature fruits are tasty and animals quickly remove them. What is the nature of this project and what to you mean by a LOT of seeds? If you prefer you could contact me off line.

Tom

Tom Croat, P. A. Schulze Curator of Botany

Missouri Botanical Garden

Box 299, St. Louis, Missouri 63116

(314) 577-5163