Re: Need some advice for aroids in outdoor condition climate zone 7

Helmut,

I would love to see pictures.  I'm also interested in how you grow the
"jewel" Alocasias.

Thanks,
Martina

foliage plants of alocasia, anthurium, monstera, philodendron and others -
in greenhouses in Vienna, Austria. As I privately own a big garden with a
couple of huge, old trees, I have some years ago started to transfer some
of my most beautiful "indoor aroids" outside from middle of May to the end
f September. For that I dig a hole in the ground, fill the bottom of the
hole with gravel (for running off excess waters) and place the pots in it.
I even do that with climbing species, which than cling on tree trunks, to
be cut in autumn (it is always recommendable to cut back climbing
aroids...). Then the plants go back to the garden room or in the living
area indoors to overwinter. The only requirement is, to have a spot in the
garden, where the plants are protected from direct sunlight and strong
winds. It is amusing, how the plants appreciate this "open air summer
vacation". Most of them develop surprising new growth.
> As a journalist I also have published that idea and have got a lot of
response. Of course it always was my goal to turn my zone 6 garden into a
tropical paradise in summer. My aroids allow an almost unlimited creativity
in exotic combinations.
> I do not know, if you, Franck, only want to grow hardy aroids in your
garden in permanence, or if you are interested to "stage" a temporary
tropical flair.

> Maybe this is also an idea for other aroiders in zones 8,7,6,5.....
> I have to try to put some of my pictures, taken in my garden, in this
forum, - so far anybody is interested.