Elephant ear

  • Subject: Elephant ear
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 14:02:57 -0400

 Steve I find that just about all plants labeled commercially as
Elephant ear are Colocasias esculenta. The Xanthosomas are a bit harder
to find and I have rarely seen them commercially available. Yet many
times I have seen photos of Xanthosomas being used to sell Colocasias as
well as Alocasias.  Caladiums are usually marked a bit better.  The
colocasia in question though is very interesting. It maybe a tetraploid
possibly a triploid as it grows much larger and very rarely produces
flowers. I have only seen flowers one time. The tubers can get extremely
large 1 foot long or more and 6 to 8 inches across. I have seen a few
photos of the plant grown to 10 feet tall or more. I am not sure if this
form is used in any taro production, it would be interesting to find
more on it's origins.  I have some good photos of on around 8 feet tall
or so.
Aroid-L mailing list