From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com]
On Behalf Of Brian Williams
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 2:03 PM
To: Discussion of aroids
Subject: [Aroid-l] Elephant ear

 Steve I find that just about all plants labeled commercially as Elephant
ear are Colocasias esculenta. The Xanthosomas are a bit harder to find and I
have rarely seen them commercially available. Yet many times I have seen
photos of Xanthosomas being used to sell Colocasias as well as Alocasias.
Caladiums are usually marked a bit better.  The colocasia in question though
is very interesting. It maybe a tetraploid possibly a triploid as it grows
much larger and very rarely produces flowers. I have only seen flowers one
time. The tubers can get extremely large 1 foot long or more and 6 to 8
inches across. I have seen a few photos of the plant grown to 10 feet tall
or more. I am not sure if this form is used in any taro production, it would
be interesting to find more on it's origins.  I have some good photos of on
around 8 feet tall or so.
10:14 AM

Checked by AVG.
10:14 AM