Re: Cultivating Cyrtosperma

  • Subject: Re: Cultivating Cyrtosperma
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:34:38 +0000

> Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 02:00:10 +0100
> From: gartenbaureisenberger@web.de
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Cyrtosperma
> > -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> > Von: Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
> > Gesendet: 08.03.08 17:05:48
> > An: Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
> > CC: kaufmanrareplants@yahoo.com
> > Betreff: Re: [Aroid-l] Cyrtosperma
Dear Helmut,

Good to hear from another grower who likes the aquatics!
I would suggest that you obtain and read a copy of my paper in Aroideana Vol. 16, ``Experiencing Urospathas``, as in this article I detail a method I developed for the sucessful growing of these difficult to grow aquatic aroids (at least over a long period of time) in the Family Lasieae, which includes Cyrtosperma, Urospatha, Dracontioides, Lasimorpha, Podolasia and others.
Others on this list have given you great advice, but what has not been throughly addressed is the problem of salts from the fertilizer building up and concentrating in the soil and water, this condition is usually the cause of the leaf burn you describe, plus the lower water temperatures in winter time.   As suggested by Brian Williams, the water in the saucers must be changed and the saucers washed on a weekly basis, and the pots with the plants flushed by excessive watering every month or so.
You can also experiment with more ''natural'' fertilizers such as OLD cow manure and WEAKLY mixed fish emulsion, etc., these will work better than commercially available powdered/dry fertilizers which consist mainly of salts.
I hope that this advice may help you grow your plants to be even more beautiful!

Julius Boos

<<> Dear Julius,
 I have been growing Cyrtsperma johnstonii for a couple of years in my greenhouses in Vienna / Austria.  Since I can offer them optimal indoor conditions, - heated greenhouse (25 - 35 Cels.), indirect sunlight + additional light in winter and relatively high humidity, - they are vigorious growers (up to two meters in a year) and producing lots of suckers. The substrate I use is LariAnns recommended mix for the very sensitive and difficult novelty Alocasias.