Re: Cyrtosperma

  • Subject: Re: Cyrtosperma
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:19:19 -0500 (CDT)

For those in the Kansas City, Kansas/Missouri area of the central US,
Bird's Botanicals has Cyrtosperma johnsonii.

I picked up a small one (10 cm. pot, the leaf blades perhaps 20 cm. but
with a meter of thorny stem) while there last November. It was immediately
named "Scratchy" by everyone who had to be in the car with it.

I can attest to its cold sensitivity, as mentioned by Julius and others.
During the unloading phase of that trip, I just put it in a corner of the
sun room until I could read up on it. The sun room gets down to about
16-18 C (60-65 F) at the edges, and within a couple of days the plant was
already showing some unhappiness.

It's now out in the center, where the temperature stays somewhat higher -
and, of course, where I'm within its reach when I'm in there.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-L mailing list