[Ariod-l] Arisaema sp.seedling help

  • Subject: [Ariod-l] Arisaema sp.seedling help
  • From: mike <mjkolaffhbc@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 01:40:10 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

   As previously posted, cleaning and stratifying or
fall sowing, the method I employ, is a great way for
propagating Arisaema. I use a deep groove tube tray
from Growing Systems Inc. in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
You can use regular germinating mix, if you like.
As for myself, I use a soilless mix of pine bark fines,
Peat moss, and composted rice hulls. About a third each
in proportion. I incorporate Actino-Iron, a biological
fungicide. This additive contains iron and humic acid,
as well as a patented actinovate microorganisim. A wetting
agent is also included.
 Some people experience skin irritation from handling the
pulp. I wear latex gloves when cleaning the seed.
I have a number of flats of different Arisaema seeds currently in a cold frame.
The root zone is minimally heated through the winter. They are watered
in the fall when sown out, and are only moistened if needed.
When the plants emerge, they may only put up one leaf for a time.
Once the plants have begun to grow, I apply a liquid 10-10-10 fertilizer to the seedlings.
 The fertilizer is applied about every 3 weeks. Some plants may put up a
second leaf, others may not. When the roots have filled the cells or emerge
from the bottom of the trays, I then transfer the plants to bandpots.
These are propagation pots which have open bottoms, and grow them on into the fall.
At this time, I may either plant them into the garden, or they go back
into the cold frame, to be planted out the following spring.
There are two books which offer splendid and detailed descriptions
of temperate Arisaema. The first is the classic, Cuttings from a Rock Garden,
by H. Lincoln Foster and Laura Louise Foster.
The other is The Explorer's Garden, Rare and Unusual Perennials by Daniel J. Hinkley.
This book offers hardiness, cultivation, and propagation information
after each specific plant chapter.
Michael Kolaczewski
Elgin,IL   USA Zone 5a

Aroid-L mailing list