Re: Another Arum

  • Subject: Re: Another Arum
  • From: Vincenzo Rubino <v_rubino@tin.it>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:41:12 +0100

Hi all, sorry for the delay in replying.
I've been in Sardinia for the whole Easter week, where had the chance to
admire Arum pictum growing almost EVERYWHERE in the island.. despite
being considered an endangered species (I mean, it's in a list of
protected plants). I'd say it replaces A.italicum in its ubiquity:  not
a single one seen there.
I've been also informed that Ambrosinia bassii was flowering on the
coastal dunes some 50km north from my location but hadn't the chance to
go and see myself, so have a look at the pictures of some friends:

Back to the red spotted Arum, I've found it not far from my hometown,
that is 10km NE from the coast of the Squillace gulf (Calabria, Italy)

where the only Arum italicum, Arisarum vulgare, and to a less extent
Dracunculus vulgaris, are present.

That's why I thought it to be no more than a strange form of A.italicum,
just like the white/blotched D.vulgaris from Crete.
By the way, that place, namely "Valli Cupe", is quite famous for some
wild populations, indeed tiny and isolated, of  Woodwardia radicans,
Osmunda regalis and a few others. We could add this bizarre Arum to the
list, if only I hadn't found just one clump. Shall i do more scouting
around and make sure about, maybe some other surprises are awaiting in
the shadows of those canyons:

Aroid-L mailing list