FW: Philodendron help-how to save this cutting

  • Subject: FW: Philodendron help-how to save this cutting
  • From: "Ron Weeks" <ronweeks518@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 12:50:23 -0500

Mildew is the only thing I grow indoors. Perhaps someone will offer help
for Carol's philodendron.
...Ron Weeks

FW:
I am not an aroid hobbyist, but for many years I had tried to locate a
variety of philodendron that I had in the sixties.  I succeeded in finding
one straggly one last year in a store that has since gone out of business,
and was I nursing it along.  I was recently in the hospital, and lost the
whole plant except for one spindly stem with one leaf.  I desparately need
some advice on how to save it, since none of the greenhouses or
horticulturists around here have ever heard of it.  Right now I have it
suspended with the stem joint under water and the single leaf sticking out
of the water.  It was called a blushing pholodendron when I first had it,
- just a standard heart shaped leaf, but with a red underside and the
upper surface extremely finely beaded so it looks satiny rather than
shiny.  Do you have any members that I could contact or advice about how
to save this poor little remnant? ( rooting procedure, fertilizer, best
soil type, etc)  It would be heartbreaking to  me to lose it.  It must be
a rather hard to grow variety, because it didn't grow much at all, whereas
the standard philodendron on the same shelf .  grew like crazy. Would
setting up a small terrarium for it be a good idea or would it make it
rot?   Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
Carol Ross