rescuing a skimpy cutting

  • Subject: rescuing a skimpy cutting
  • From: REDRAGON40@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 17:31:42 EDT

Hi everyone:  I am new to this list and I'm not sure whether the text of my request to Mr. Weeks was shown to anyone yet, so please excuse me if this is a repeat.  I am not an aroid hobbyist, but for many years I had tried to locate a variety of philodendron that I had in the sixties.  I succeeded in finding one straggly one last year in a store that has since gone out of business, and  I was nursing it along.  I was recently in the hospital, and lost the whole plant except for one spindly stem with one leaf.  I desparately need some advice on how to save it, since none of the greenhouses or horticulturists around here have ever heard of it.  Right now I have it suspended with the stem joint under water and the single leaf sticking out of the water.  It was called a blushing pholodendron when I first had it, - just a standard heart shaped leaf, but with a red underside and the upper surface extremely finely beaded so it looks satiny rather than shiny.  Do you have any members that I could contact or any advice about how to save this poor little remnant? ( rooting procedure, fertilizer, best soil type, etc)  It would be heartbreaking to  me to lose it.  It must be a rather hard to grow variety, because it didn't grow much at all, whereas the standard philodendron on the same shelf  grew like crazy. Would setting up a small terrarium for it be a good idea or would it make it rot?   Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
Carol Ross

Aroid-L mailing list