Re: Amorphophallus titanum+ organic methods

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus titanum+ organic methods
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 09:42:35 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Jared,

Others on this forum can advise you on Amorphophallus.

I utilize organic growing methods although all the new nursery stock I buy has been grown in a conventional way.  I am a firm believer in vermiculture and my composting worms produce great castings and compost tea.  I also have large compost piles and I have used a product called E-M or effective microorganisms.  It is still a mystery to me exactly how it works, but it has shown promise in my garden. I use it only sporadically at any rate.  Other than that, I do not use heroic methods to grow my plants.  I do not have a big pest problem and I only spot treat things with an organic orange solvent if I need to.  Julius told me to use well rotted cow manure on my plants and I can attest to the effectiveness of dung. I have also used horse manure with good results.  I only spot fertilize as well.  I like to grow my plants slow and tough...they can resist pests in a better fashion.

In potted plants, I use coconut chunks with great results.  However, the shredded coir product has not performed well...it decomposes too quickly in my humidity and plants can suffer.

Can you elaborate on the fungal based techniques you use?

By the way...your Anthurium looks most like Anthurium andicola from Veracruz, Mexico.