Re: Amorphophallus konjac size

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus konjac size
  • From: <hostas@fuse.net>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 14:07:20 -0500

Good afternoon.

I am a gardener from Cincinnati, Ohio.
It is zone 5/6.

Tony Avent told me years ago that Konjac might be hardy here and to try it and plant it deep.  Mine have been in the ground for a little over 8 years and multiply well.
They never bloom and they are not huge.
The largest the plant gets is about 3 1/2 feet. ( I have never dug one up to record the bulb size, but the stem of the plants in the ground are not thick like when planted in pots.)

I mostly grow them in pots and my tubers have often gotten to 8+ inches across.  Huge, thick stems and wide beautiful foliage. But when they get that big, they don't put off many bulblets and often the big tuber has problems in storage (much of it rots) or when I dig it up the next year, it has divided into 2 smaller ones, about 4-6 inches across.

Hope you find this of interest!
Betty Davis
zone 5/6

Aroid-L mailing list