Re: Engler's Works Scanned for Members

  • Subject: Re: Engler's Works Scanned for Members
  • From: Albert M Huntington <amh@ieee.org>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 23:17:15 -0800 (PST)

Dan,

  Good question - all copyrighted works enter the public domain after some amount of time - copyright in at least the US is not perpetual ( though there are certain corporate interests which would either have you believe that or like to change the law... ).  Works published before 1923, as Engler's were, are no longer protected by international or US copyright law at this time.

  Though it is pretty much completely off-topic - Regarding copyright and journals - most botanical journals that I am aware of stipulate that the author grant a license to reproduce the article to the journal, but the copyright ownership remains with the author, not the journal.  So in most cases an author like Peter Boyce can give us permission to reproduce one of his articles without involving the journal at all.  I am sure things are far different in the medical field - medical journals seem to be big business these days.

--Albert