Re: aroids as medicines including againt snake bite!

  • Subject: Re: aroids as medicines including againt snake bite!
  • From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy@zoominternet.net>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 12:04:22 -0400

Steve, a quick follow-up from pub-med on Dracontium gives the following hits that may be relevant....there were a couple of others that were not.  The first 2 deal with anti-venom properties as you can see from the titles and the third looks at immunomodulation.
Not a lot in the classic scientific literature, but lots from traditional healing sorts of reports as I mentioned in my last post.
Good luck,
Gibsonia, PA

J Ethnopharmacol. 2000 Aug;71(3):505-11.

Snakebites and ethnobotany in the northwest region of Colombia: Part II: neutralization of lethal and enzymatic effects of Bothrops atrox venom.

Otero R, Núñez V, Jiménez SL, Fonnegra R, Osorio RG, García ME, Díaz A.

Braz J Med Biol Res. 2004 Jul;37(7):969-77. Epub 2004 Jun 22.

Neutralization of the edema-forming, defibrinating and coagulant effects of Bothrops asper venom by extracts of plants used by healers in Colombia.

Núñez V, Otero R, Barona J, Saldarriaga M, Osorio RG, Fonnegra R, Jiménez SL, Díaz A, Quintana JC.

J Nat Prod. 2009 Apr 2. [Epub ahead of print]

Oxylipins from Dracontium loretense.

Benavides A, Napolitano A, Bassarello C, Carbone V, Gazzerro P, Malfitano A, Saggese P, Bifulco M, Piacente S, Pizza C.