Native name for Dracontium/Bothrops/snake-bite

  • Subject: Native name for Dracontium/Bothrops/snake-bite
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:05:53 +0000

Dear All,

Here you go---the word ''Jergon'' is a native name for one of the Bothrops sps. in that area.

From: plantguy@zoominternet.net
To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:51:30 -0400
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] aroids as medicines including againt snake bite!

Hi Steve,
There is a HUGE market for Jergon Sacha (Dracontium) coming out of South America for virtually everything that ails you and there have supposedly even been some clinical trials I believe.  If you Google either Dracontium or Jergon Sacha you will find a wealth of information.
You can also buy powdered Amorphophallus konjac for all of your aches and pains of course.
The real question is have there been any serious clinical trials to substantiate these claims?  I realize that these sorts of studies are normally well behind the reality people know on the ground, but ultimately I think they are required both for medicine and for making people want to protect their native species.
Hope this helps your research!
By the way, Steve M., I recently tried to post a pic of my Dracontium polyphyllum that is in bloom, but it never seems to have made it through......any ideas on why this is?
Gibsonia, PA