aroids as medicines including againt snake bite!

  • Subject: aroids as medicines including againt snake bite!
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:05:50 -0500

Thanks Julius, and also thanks to Alison, Dan, John and others for your responses.  I have read many articles that appear to claim an aroid can heal, but so far none that explain why.

As Dan mentioned, Studies have indicated Amorphophallus konjac is known to be useful in weight control as well as having medicinal properties for the control of constipation , high blood pressure, hypoglycemia and other conditions.  (Doi et al., 1979; Misra & Sriram, 2002).  This may be as a result of the unique sugars in the glucomannans in the plant but I am not trained in this study, just curious about it.

I'm currently trying to locate Dr. Croat's papers as well as the book by Hans. with the help of Beth Campbell who lives in Ecuador, I learned about a great book entitled Useful Plants of Ecuador (Plantas Utiles del Ecuador), edited by Montserrat Rios, Michael J Koziol, Henrik Bogroft Pedersen, and Gabriela Granda published by the Missouri Botanical Garden Press and since I'll be there in just a few weeks I'm going to try to buy a copy, provided it is still in print.  There are also close to a dozen articles in Aroideana with at least anecdotal mentions of the topic.

For any of you that don't know, you can research Aroideana on the IAS website www.Aroid.org  I am fortunate to own a complete set, but for anyone that does not you can download individual articles from the issues one through 32 directly from the site.  if you are an IAS member, short articles can be downloaded free of charge but there is a small charge for the longer pieces.

My specific interest is not in the fact aroids do appear to be able to heal, but why and how.  I'm sure some of you have read all the claims on many pet websites trying to convince the world Philodendron and Anthurium should not be grown in homes because they will "kill your pets".  Even though it is true an aroid contains oxalate crystals, the claims they are "deadly poisons" is not factual and I am curious if the oxalates actually have healing powers.

Thanks to everyone for your response, and if you know of sources with more in-depth information please let me know.

Steve
www.ExoticRainforest.com

PS: for anyone reading this that is still convinced calcium oxalate is a "poison" you probably should know all these vegetables (and more) contain calcium oxalate crystals:    Parsley, Chives, Cassava, Spinach, Beet leaves, Carrot, Radish, Collards, Bean, Brussels sprouts, Garlic, Lettuce, Watercress, Sweet potato, Turnip, Broccoli, Celery, Eggplant, Cauliflower, Asparagus, Cabbage, Tomato, Pea, Turnip greens, Potato, Onion, Okra, Pepper, Squash, Cucumbers, and Corn!