Re: Philo seed advice needed.

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997 wrote:

> Hello list,
>         I am on the Philo seed list and I was wondering if someone can help
> me choose some approiate varieties to grow both inside my house as well as
> outside in my area?   I live in extreem northern CA, in zone 9-9b.  The
> winter temp. ranges from 40's to 50's, sometimes dropping to the 30's (this
> only happened twice this year), and on very rare occasions has dropped to the
> high 20's).  The summer temp. ranges from 50's to 70's, occasionsly reaching
> 80's and very rare 90's.   The plants I choose need to be able to withstand
> fog, high cloud covering until noon ,and many times, lack of sun all day, and
> no rain throughout the summer ( I will water where
> necessary).  The winters are totally wet and cold. The soil on my property is
> a rather acid form surrounding fir trees.  If someone can help me choose
> wisely, I would really appreciate it!
> Thank you
> Sue Zunino

Dear Sue,

     Your area isn't pretty suitable to grow Philos but you can try some
rustic species. If you want to try some species outside your house, you
better choose some huge guys like P.bipinnatifidum or P.undulatum. Both
can be found growing on Northern Argentina and Southern Brazil, where the
weather is somewhat cold during the winter. They grow better in full
sunlight but you must add some limestone powder (or something like this)
to correct the pH. P. speciosum sometimes grows on cold mountains from
Southeastern Brazil, but I'm not sure if it can resist much time outside
there. If you want pot plants to grow inside your house, you can try
P.imbe (small size), P. cordatum (small size), P. crassinervium (small
size, somewhat fragile), P. adamantinum (medium size) and P. saxicolum
(medium size).  Probably, you'll have to keep a dish with water under the
pots. P.  adamantinum and P. saxicolum needs direct sun or strong light.
Seedlings from any species are fragile and need good humity and a somewhat
warm place.  After this critical phase, you can slowly adapt them to
colder environments.

Hope the above helps,