Re: Alvim Seidel Philodendron seeds - questions

At 08:07 PM 3/14/97 -0600, Eduardo Gomes Goncalves wrote:
>Dear Todd,
>    We have an interest subject to discuss here...
>    Let me introduce the problem: The Taxonomical point of view can be
>quite different from the horticultural point of view. In fact, very
>different things can be joined under a same botanical name. Such
>synonimization (undulatum=eichlerii,
>bipinnatifidum=selloum=lundii=melo-barretoanum) has been recently proposed
>by Simon Mayo (Kew Bull. 46(4):601-681. 1991), but the changes still
>hasn't reached the horticultural business. Besides, the morphological
>difference between a typical P. bipinnatifidum and a typical P. selloum
>is somewhat impressive. Although, we can find lots of intermediary forms
>in the wild so we can't even outline an acceptable diagnosis to
>distinguish them as taxonomical units. That doesn't mean that the forms
>are morphologicaly equal, but such variability allows that the two
>extreme forms, if taken without the intermediaries, can be assumed as
>different species (as has already happened in the past). I presume that
>Alvim Seidel isn't a taxonomist so he isnt up-to-dated.
>    If my mind isn't confused, the so-called Amorphophallus 'black-stem'
>is an unusual form of the old A. konjac. This is a good example of how two
>different things to the horticulturist can be the same thing to someone
>like Wilbert (or any other taxonomist)!
>    There is one more thing. If there is an unusual form of a given
>species that is rarer than the other(s), in my opinion, is fair to charge
>a little more for it, even when they have the same botanical name.
>When I got my order from Seidel in the mid 70's (complete with scorpion)
the Sansevierias included were in no way resembling what they were
labelled. and they weren't even that rare. I still think such an order as
this is good, from the standpoint of pure serendipity.

3 acres of California-grown Bamboo, Palms, Cycads, Sansevierias, Exotics.
Visit us at or (714)544-9505.e-mail to