Re: Alvim Seidel Philodendron seeds - questions

Dear Todd,

    We have an interest subject to discuss here...
    Let me introduce the problem: The Taxonomical point of view can be
quite different from the horticultural point of view. In fact, very
different things can be joined under a same botanical name. Such
synonimization (undulatum=eichlerii,
bipinnatifidum=selloum=lundii=melo-barretoanum) has been recently proposed
by Simon Mayo (Kew Bull. 46(4):601-681. 1991), but the changes still
hasn't reached the horticultural business. Besides, the morphological
difference between a typical P. bipinnatifidum and a typical P. selloum
is somewhat impressive. Although, we can find lots of intermediary forms
in the wild so we can't even outline an acceptable diagnosis to
distinguish them as taxonomical units. That doesn't mean that the forms
are morphologicaly equal, but such variability allows that the two
extreme forms, if taken without the intermediaries, can be assumed as
different species (as has already happened in the past). I presume that
Alvim Seidel isn't a taxonomist so he isnt up-to-dated.
    If my mind isn't confused, the so-called Amorphophallus 'black-stem'
is an unusual form of the old A. konjac. This is a good example of how two
different things to the horticulturist can be the same thing to someone
like Wilbert (or any other taxonomist)!
    There is one more thing. If there is an unusual form of a given
species that is rarer than the other(s), in my opinion, is fair to charge
a little more for it, even when they have the same botanical name.