RE: Anubias ID and help requested

----------
From: 	aroid-l@mobot.org on behalf of Frank C. Marini
Sent: 	Tuesday, March 25, 1997 12:27 AM
To: 	Julius Boos
Subject: 	Anubias ID and help requested

Hello to all in the knowledge:
I was pointed to this site-because you are the world expert on plants.
[Q]
I recently purchased two very werid pieces of anubias which I can't
identify
This anubias looks unlike my other pieces (a.congonsis,
barteri, nana) its has very tall slender stalks (8-10" tall) with a
arrowhead shaped leaf which points up at a 45 degree angle, the bottom
of each leaf is forked and curls up to form a cup like structure. It
appears to be an anubias, but with a twist. These little projections at
the bottom point down and outward and are about 1" long.
CAN ANY ONE HELP ME IDENTIFY THIS PLANT
This is a drawing of the leaf

  leaf top  ------------->     x
                             x  x
                            x    x
                           x      x
                           x      x
                           x      x
   middle of leaf--------> x      x
                           x      x
                           x       x
                          x  x   x  x
                         x  x     x  x
                        x  x       x   x    bottom of knub
                      xx x    x x   x xx
                              x x
                              x x
       stem -------------- >  x x

I am positive it is an anubias. Rhizome, roots structures. Additionally
new leaves are appearing which are not the same shape-they appear to be
more of a rounded spearhead shape w/ no sign of the little flanges at
the bottom.
 Also I beleive something is
wrong w/ this anubias because the bottom of the plant (where the leaf
meets the
rhizome) is turning brown, and one leaf looks as though it is "rotting
off". ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
frank

Dear Frank,    I've previously seen what you discribe [leaf-shape, etc.] in
the above-water leaves on a plant grown in deep water in Miami some years ago.
  The thing is that cuttings from this same plant, but grown under different
conditions and water depths  produced leaves of a DIFFERENT shape to the
original!!!
  Anubias is a VERY variable genus, and until you can produce an infloresence
for positive I.D. at a herbarium or somesuch, you'll have to make do with
whatever name you can come up with for the time being.
   The plant may not have a problem-  they are generally VERY hardy but slow
growing, and may loose several or most of their leaves when transplanted,
especially to a new enviroment with new light levels, water depth, etc.   They
will produce DIFFERENT shaped leaves [as you see].   Keep your eyes on the NEW
growth and leaves, and expect the old to rot off.   As long as the rhizome is
firm, iy will recover!!
   Hope this helps!
                           Reguards,  Julius      ju-bo@msn.com