Sick alocasia

Fellow Aroiders,

I recently purchased an alocasia plant from Home Depot. I brought it home
and repotted it into a larger pot. I was very careful not to disturb the
root mass. With in a week two of the four leaves began to droop. The base
of the leaf stems became soft and mushy and eventually rotted off at the
base of the plant. Since then the remaining two leaves have drooped to the
extent that the stems can no longer support the leaves. No rot on these two
yet. Can anybody give me some advice as to what is going on with my plant?
Can it be saved?

Steve Hall