Re: Germinating Dracontium

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilbert Hetterscheid <hetter@vkc.nl>
To: ju-bo@msn.com <ju-bo@msn.com>
Date: Monday, March 15, 1999 10:02 AM
Subject: Germinating Dracontium

Anyone with any experience in germinating Dracontium seeds? Doesn't seem
to be an easy job. I have a bunch of very lazy seeds of Dr. ulei.

Dear Wilbert,
I have had NO sucess with germinatuing any Dracontium seed.   Have tried
with D asperum (a 'floater') D. polyphyllum (a 'sinker') and a few other
species, none ever did anything for me.   The one person a few years ago who
told me they had germinated this genus corrected himself as he was
'germinating' the bulbils, NOT seed.
Joep Moonen in Fr. Guiana says he routienly germinates D. polyphyllum seed,
and I will confirm this when next I contact him.
Lasioid seed can be very 'lazy', and germinate months later when you have
given up hope, this happened recently with both Urospatha and Anaphyllopsis
seed for me and friends.