Re: pollinating Anth veitchii ?

I am surprised that A. veitchii is seeming to cause problems selfing, I
(another gardener), like Selby used the technique of rubbing pollen from the
upper half of the inflorescence to the lower half of the spadix using
fingers, on the same plant (as we only had one) and had a good fruit set.
This was also about 2 years ago and it has produced some nice seedlings.  The
only thing I can think of other than beginners luck is that I remember being
told that the spadix heats up when receptive and I checked it each day.  It
did indeed heat up significantly one day and this is when I carried out the
pollination.
    Hope this helps,

Alan Gregg
Swansea Botanical Complex