Re: pollinating Anth veitchii ?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: pollinating Anth veitchii ?
  • From: Neil Carroll <zzamia@hargray.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 13:21:46 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: <Greggy6392@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2000 6:36 PM

> I am surprised that A. veitchii is seeming to cause problems selfing, I
> (another gardener), like Selby used the technique of rubbing pollen from
the
> upper half of the inflorescence to the lower half of the spadix using
> fingers, on the same plant (as we only had one) and had a good fruit set.

You did? I find this hard to beleive. When pollen is showing on the spadix
of the inflorescence, that inflorescence is past its time to receive pollen.
This is Anhurium's way of preventing self-pollination. So these seeds you
got, are they viable? Selby did not use the technique you discribe but had 4
clones on hand thus increasing the liklyhood that an inflorescence would be
secreting stigmatic fluid at the same time ANOTHER inflorescence was
shedding pollen. These two events (stigmatic fluid and pollen) DO NOT occur
on the same inflorescence at the same time.

Neil