Anthurium macdanielii

Michael,

In partial answer to your question, here is the most recent collection information from W3TROPICOS at MoBot:

Collection Information:
Ecuador, Napo, Orellana
Vicinity:
Elevation: 355 m
Coordinates: 0.34S 76.50W
Collector(s): Thomas B. Croat
Collection number: 72547
Collection date: 29 Feb 1992
Herbaria: B, K, MO, QCA, QCNE
Specimen data: Epiphyte; internodes short, 2-4 cm diameter; cataphylls persisting intact; petioles terete, medium to dark green, minutely speckled; blade moderately coriaceous, dark green and velvety above, slightly paler and matte below; midrib bluntly acute and slightly paler above, +|_ round-raised and weakly paler below; primary lateral veins raised and paler in valleys above; pleated-raised below.

This is, I believe, the most recent collection information on Tropicos. I can find no references to the species in Aroideana. The plant has been found in southern Panama as well as Equador.

I believe Tom Croat named this plant after Charlie MacDaniel, an IAS member and plant collector. Charlie conducts plant hunting expeditions into Central and South America, as does Betsy. Charlie has an archive of hilarious stories he keeps in his head about his trips, and those who have accompanied him. If you ever have the opportunity to meet him, ask him to share some of his stories.

Charlie signed on to this mail list many months back, but I no longer see him on the roster.

Don

Don Burns
Fort Lauderdale FL USA
Zone 10b