Re: Aroideana and the Newsletter.

  • Subject: Re: Aroideana and the Newsletter.
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 10:20:45 -0500 (CDT)

A few weeks ago I posted the following message to the Arisaema list after
someone "advertised" the Aroid Society (mistakenly actually.... thought
they were on aroid-l).

Anyway, this discussion about newletters etc reminded me to send the query
to aroid-l...... maybe I can actually get an answer now.  I'm after a list
of exactly what benefits you get for joining.  Given the Australian Dollar
is pretty useless at the moment it is rather costly to join overseas
societies.... so I want to know what I get before I join.  So have a read
of the message below and hopefully someone can provide me with the answers.

Thanks in anticipation People.

Paul Tyerman
(Canberra, Australia)

****************** ORIGINAL MESSAGE to ARISEMA-L ***************************

>How many of you are members of the International Aroid Society? Come on
>folks, Please Join. Support the Society, which helps to maintain out
>List.Receive your own copies of the Newsletters and the Journal.

MJ,

Out of interest what ARE the benefits of being a member.  The site lists
the benefits as "the annual, AROIDEANA, quarterly newsletters, and other
benefits".

What ARE these other benefits?  Is it written anywhere?  I just had a quick
look and couldn't find anything stating what you get.

These are honest questions.  I am in Australia so the cost of joining, by
the time I get charged $3 for the privilege of using a card will come out
to something like $70 a year, which means I'd like to know exactly what I'd
get for joining.  I currently partake of the Aroid-L (which I think is
wonderful, but I don't need to be a member to use that) but what else of
benefit to international members.  Many of the Horticultural societies are
geared to their country of origin and have less use for their international
members.  That's why I'm asking.