Re: Stink Alert!

  • Subject: Re: Stink Alert!
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 10:27:44 -0500 (CDT)

Howdy All,

Sorry to ask yet another question.........

How old is Mr Stinky?  How old does an Amorphophallus titanum have to be to
flower?  For that matter, how old do the other species need to be to flower
(I'm talking from seed to flowering here)?  I realise that A. bulbifer
grows bulbils which are easier than seed.... but how many years does it
take the bulbils to reach maturity?  I realised looking at all those
different ones at the Fairchild site that I have absolutely no idea at all.

I've got so many questions about them now.  How much do the tubers of the
variosu species usually weigh when they get to flowering size?

Ok... I'l stop now.  You can see that this has gotten to me a bit.  I just
wish I could see them in person.  Does anyone know if there are any mature
specimens of A. titanum and A. gigas in Australia?

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8
mailto:ptyerman@ozemail.com.au

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Lilium, Aroids, Irises
plus just about anything else that doesn't move!!!!!