Delayed message, plus some administrivia

  • Subject: Delayed message, plus some administrivia
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:14:20 -0500 (CDT)

I must apologize to Paul Tyerman - I am the inadvertant cause of the
delayed message to which he referred. All posts to Aroid-L must be
approved by a moderator before they are distributed (this lets us weed out
spam, personal replies sent in error to the list, etc.). Night before
last, I apparently sent Paul's second message after somehow skipping over
the first. Most of us who use the Internet much are probably used to
things not necessarily arriving in the same sequence they are sent, but
usually the delay isn't 48 hours!

While dealing with administrivia, let me mention once again that the list
is now operating in a mode that does not let Don or I make any changes to
a post before distributing it - we either send it as is or reject it.

What this means is that where we previously could delete extraneous HTML
copies of messages, or excessive quotation of previous messages, or
attachments such as images (or possibly viruses; we don't approve posts
with encoded attachments), we no longer can. Not everyone has high-speed
internet access, and many people still have very limited space for
incoming e-mail (plus, how many times do we need to see the same message
quoted in its entirety?), so we ask that you be judicious in quoting
that you turn off HTML and other attachments to your posts. This will
benefit our archives as well, reducing the space they take up.

We know this isn't as easy as it sounds, some mailers just really want to
send HTML. We're just asking that you do what you can.

Thanks,

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu