Re: News from what remains of the Jungle

  • Subject: Re: News from what remains of the Jungle
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein <ecuador@midsouth.rr.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:53:21 -0500 (CDT)

Yes, both can happen. We can get the plants we so love, and the little guy can
collect from to be destroyed or altered terrain and all can be better off in the
deal. And yes, you are right, the governments cannot comprehend that they
themselves are the biggest culprits in the destruction of their own ecology. No
one wants to take responsibility and all want to blame. While I want the forest
to stay and be for the future, if that is not to happen, let's find ways like
this to make as much of the plant material to be saved and propagated and
released. That is the costly end. When money passes hands for the product which
it is at that point, those down the line in both directions are supported with
what they need and want. The growers are financially supported, the collectors
are supported, the plant collectors either commercial or hobby are getting what
they want. Why is this so difficult to be understood? Perhaps it is that very
few truly know the massive destruction of the areas in question and that
authority has ideas of survival that do not foster preservation and sustanence.
Reality check, what is, is and we best come to grips quick or in the end, the
land is worthless, the little guy moves on to start yet again and more is
destroyed. Learn to see the asset in the forest itself and this can have a light
at the end of the tunnel, all be it small at this time.

Good luck with your venture. I wish you well. Keep your botanical data to make
the botanists happy if at all possible. (Are you from Brazil? or just a
dedicated lover of plants settled on the plantdom of Brazil?)