RE: News from what remains of the Jungle

  • Subject: RE: News from what remains of the Jungle
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:53:07 -0500 (CDT)

> I am in the process of setting up a
>growing area/production facility in Brazil to produce mass quantities of
>native flora, everything from Aroids, bulbs, flowering trees, and palms to
>gingers and heliconias. It is merely a matter of time to get the monies
>together. The Brazilian permits are all lined up and ready to go. This would
>not only sustain Brazilian natives (if only in the cultivated sense because
>their "natives" will destroy the wild forms) but also educate the employees
>as well as supply them will decent housing and income.

John,

Hopefully that will show others that it CAN be done and might show some of
the slashers that they can earn an income from saving what they would
normally burn, for only the cost of collecting the material and selling it
to the concerns such as yours.  If that cycle could be started then there
is hope for many of the species that are being wiped out at such a rate.

Maybe then the one or two individuals of plants thought to be extinct that
are unknowingly still growing in the trees or ground destined for
decimation and crops will have a future that involves life rather than death.

I hope it all goes well for you.  May just be the chance for a lot of
species, as well as some necessary income for some of the poor farmers.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8
mailto:ptyerman@ozemail.com.au

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Lilium, Aroids, Irises
plus just about anything else that doesn't move!!!!!