RE: News from what remains of the Jungle

  • Subject: RE: News from what remains of the Jungle
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:21:48 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Jon,

    Let me add a few comments on your message. In fact, there are many
native botanists in South America, some of them, top notch experts.
Unfortunately, only a few of them are able to publish regularly in English.
It is not so surprise. If the scientific language still was the Latin, how
many Anglo-saxonic scientists will be silent for the rest of the world?
German scientists discovering many interesting things in the beginning of
the century and north American are discovering this things again, like it
was the first time!  Another important thing is that the `publication`
culture is not so important here, i.e., it wasn´t so important. Anyway,
based on the lack of priority of the government, we are too many!
     Yes, we are not so scientific but things are changing. Take a look at
the recent literature. South Americans, Hindus and Chinese are everywhere,
from Botany to Physics. In the last International Aroid Conference, there
was many Colombians, Brazilians and other non-English-speakers, all with
very interesting posters and/or conferences. I know we are not enough
(considering the complexity of our biomes), but we are trying to be at the
party too. In the last two Aroideanas, there was many articles from
Brazilians. Just like India, there are two worlds together here in Brazil.
We have good scientific institutions, with a very competent staff... And we
have the extreme poverty. It is hard to understand, but these worlds speak
the same language! And some of us (like me) are even studying aroids!

                        Best wishes,