  • Subject: Yautia
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 00:39:44 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Bonaventure,

    I agree completely with Julius. When the first leaf appear, check on the
petioles. If they are light green, you have X. sagittifolium. If they are
"dark", it can be either X. atrovirens or X. violaceum. In fact, their names
never lie: X. violaceum is purple and X. atrovirens is blackish green.
However, the thick layer of wax on the petioles of both species may confuse
your sense of purplish... Both will appear purplish for a non-trained eye.
So check on the nerves below at the leaves. If they are really purplish, it
is X. violaceum. If they are medium green or dark green, you are a proud
owner of a X. atrovirens! If they are lavender with green spots and yellow
strips, just scream... You have something from outer space growing in your
pot! "Take me to your leader"

                                   Best wishes, ;o)