Re: Synandrospadix

  • Subject: Re: Synandrospadix
  • From: Aroideae@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 10:11:16 -0500 (CDT)

hi geoff,

treat the synandrospadix seedlings as you would any other, with a good
well-drained potting mix and normal watering.  in other words, don't let them
dry out but don't keep them wet. do fertilize and you'll have nice little
tubers in a year. in the first year, they've not gone dormant on me, but once
they do, then keep them dry till you see sprouting again.  they like good
light.  once established beyond the seedling stage, they require heavy water
and fertilization while they're growing and prefer very good light.  as to
their hardiness, i can't say.  it's a fairly high elevation plant (mine is
from about 2500 m), but i haven't tried it outside the greenhouse.  deni bown
lost hers to excessive cold.

Me again,
Does anyone out there have much experience of growing Synandrospadix? The
seeds from the distribution some months ago (many thanks!!) have finally
germinated and I am wondering what the best conditions are for them .
the literature about their distribution I would imagine rather hot and
subject to dryish spells, I believe they grow in rather rocky areas i.e.
rather like Dracunculus in Europe but I might be completely wrong. Any
advise/tips on the care of them when young would be appreciated.

Geoffrey Kibby
in sunny, warm London