Various Minimum Temperatures

  • Subject: Various Minimum Temperatures
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 13:17:27 -0500 (CDT)

Howdy All,

Is there a listing somewhere that of minimum temperatures required by the
various species of Amorphophallus?  I am trying to find out which are the
tropical varieties and which will take frosts etc.  I know that varieties
like bulbifer and konjac are fine in frost, but what others are?  I'd like
to grow as many of these as possible as I find them utterly fascinating
(well actually... them, Arums, Arisaemas, Biarums, the list goes on)

I am also after similar temperature information for Alocasias, Colocasias,
Typhoniums and Xanthosoma species.  I was reading back through some of the
stuff that I've saved regarding aroids and noticed that one person in Zone
5 mentioned that Typhonium giganteum was hardy there (I assume dormant in
winter?) so there are obviously some varieties that take the cold.

Basically I'm just trying to find out exactly how far I can let this
addiction take me before the aroids own the house in winter and "I'm"
sleeping outside in a pot!! <grin>.  I'm only just starting to find out
that the certain species of Philodendrons, Typhoniums, Alocasias,
Colocasias are really something I can actually think about growing here
unprotected.  I'd always thought of them as being "tropical".

Thanks in anticipation of any information or leads to any information.  It
may be better to email me directly rather than clogging up the list with
unwanted information for those people who do not grow these things.

I hope no-one minds me asking what some would regards as such a "general"
question.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8
mailto:ptyerman@ozemail.com.au

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Lilium, Aroids, Irises
plus just about anything else that doesn't move!!!!!