Re: Various Minimum Temperatures

  • Subject: Re: Various Minimum Temperatures
  • From: "Alan Galloway" <alan_galloway@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 21:20:21 -0500 (CDT)

Subject: Various Minimum Temperatures

> Is there a listing somewhere that of minimum temperatures required by the
> various species of Amorphophallus?  I am trying to find out which are the
> tropical varieties and which will take frosts etc.

Paul, off the IAS web site, check out the list of hardy aroids,
http://www.aroid.org/horticulture/hardy.html

> I know that varieties
> like bulbifer and konjac are fine in frost, but what others are?

Here in Raleigh, NC, USA, USDA-zone#7, the following are also
cold hardy:
                    Amorphophallus napalensis
                    Amorphophallus odoratus

I'm testing/will be testing the following for cold-hardiness:

                    Amorphophallus henryii
                    Amorphophallus kisusianus
                    Amorphophallus albus

> I am also after similar temperature information for Alocasias, Colocasias,
> Typhoniums and Xanthosoma species.  I was reading back through some of the
> stuff that I've saved regarding aroids and noticed that one person in Zone
> 5 mentioned that Typhonium giganteum was hardy there (I assume dormant in
> winter?) so there are obviously some varieties that take the cold.

It is extremely cold hardy, as is Typhonium  roxburghii (formerly T.
diveracatum).

Alan
Alan Galloway
Raleigh, North Carolina