Re: Synandrospadix

  • Subject: Re: Synandrospadix
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 13:18:34 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: GeoffAroid@aol.com <GeoffAroid@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Sunday, May 27, 2001 10:45 PM

Hello Geoff (and friends)!

There is a word for life forms that do this 'delayed' act, and it is said to
be a survival strategy for life forms that have to live in extreme habitats,
of course I can not think of the word now!    (maybe 'diapause'??)  Several
of the folks that I sent seed of this to gave up too early and threw the
whole caboodle away after two months, but I am STILL getting reports from
people MONTHS/a year later that a seed here and a seed there continue to
germinate!   Once they do germinate, they grow like weeds, the only thing
that seems to really mess them up are nematodes which infect the tuber, they
will appear as sometimes-necrotic'bulges' on the tuber when you dig it up at
dormancy.   All in all, this has been a really lovely plant to grow and
observe, and like most of the South American tuberous genera such as
Taccarum ( I am STILL looking for other species besides T. weddellianum,
folks!!!!!!) it gives me a welcome 'break' from Amorphophallus!  (sorry,
Lord P!!!!)

By the way, LOVE your use of the word 'cosseted', have not seen it in use in

>>Thanks to Susan and Lynn for their advice about growing Synandrospadix,
have been duly potted up and will be cosseted, pampered and probably talked
to as well (I talk to all the rest, I am not above resorting to pleading,
encouraging and even threatening my plants to grow for me.....!). Their
germination was very strange: one seed germinated within a week of sowing,
another 2 months after, and the rest several months after that; all seeds
treated exactly the same. Anyway, I look forward to growing them on to large
flowering plants if at all possible.

Besy wishes to all,
Geoffrey Kibby