Re: Zantedeschia availability??

  • Subject: Re: Zantedeschia availability??
  • From: <mburack@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 10:51:16 -0500 (CDT)

This may not be what you are looking for, but I hand pollinated my "giant", "herculies" or whatever other cultivar name you want to give it (the mammoth white one with the white spots on the leaves).

The infruct. is quite huge and I am sure the berries will be ripe soon.. I will be looking to keep a bunch for myself as this cultivar is so gigantic and amazing.. but I will have plenty to spare.  If you or others would like some.. feel free to let me know.

Also, I grow one in a reletively dry area... I grow one grossly wet..both in the heat (I am in S. Florida as well) and the winter temps dont bother them at all and they dont go dormant for me.  It is about as adaptable as it gets... I only notice that it flowers infrequently in the summer?  Heavy in spring and fall...also fragrant (from close up :)

(with all of that said...the berries are currently very big and swollen.. but juuuust turning a lighter shade from the "green" they were..how long should these things need to go before they are fully ripe?)