Re: Zantedeschia - warm and wet

  • Subject: Re: Zantedeschia - warm and wet
  • From: Arno King <arnoking@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 09:33:27 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Julius

I grow Zantedeschia in my pond here in Brisbane which
I understand has a climate that is close to that of
the southern tip of Florida. I grow my plant in a pond
along with Typhonodorum, Colocasia and Lasia.

While the plant grows, it has nothing like the vigour
and size of plants from southern climates which it
much prefers. It appears to me that it is a warm
temperate plant and the sub tropics, particularly
summer rainfall and humidity are not ideal. I have
only seen it once being grown north of South-east
Queensland (where Brisbane is located) and this was on
the Atherton Tablelands above Cairns (far north
Queensland), an area which which has a similar climate
to ours.

If you drive up to Toowoomba (2.5 hours from Brisbane
and at a higher altitude with cold winters ), the
plants look very different, the are bigger (1.5 metres
in height as opposed to 500mm), lusher and flower more
profusely. In the southern, moister parts of Australa
the plant naturalises readily and is regarded as a
weed in some states. It certainly does not do that

Many people have compained about having difficulty
with this plant in Brisbane. It seems to me that all
people who grow it with some form of success grow it
in a pot in the pond and give it semi-shade.

I regard my plant as a novelty for this area.

Arno King

--- Julius Boos <ju-bo@msn.com> wrote:
> Dear Folks,
> I am loking to aquire/buy a few doramnt tubers of
> Zantedeschia aethopica (or any large, white spathed
> clone) for a friend here in S. Florida who wants to
> grow it 'wet'.   Does anyone know the warmth/cold
> requirements of this genus???   Is there a species
> or clone that will grow eell wet and warm??
> I look forward to your replys!
> Cheers,
> Julius

Do You Yahoo!?